Thursday, April 21, 2011

Group 2 Post

http://techcrunch.com/ - Technology Blog

This blog is a blog about all the new technology that's coming out now. It is filled with information and reviews about all sorts of gadgets and technology. This range of information pertains to televisions, phones, computers and even popular website reviews. When looking at the blog keep these questions in mind:

1. Why do you think blogs about technology (such as this one) are so successful?

2. Have you ever used a site such as this when making a decision about what technology to buy?

-Group 2

23 comments:

  1. Thanks to Group 2 for posting the blog. I've got a couple of additional questions to add to the list:

    1. How does this blog relate to our course theme? Do you see any specific posts or features that function as social commentary? And/or any comic posts? Members of Group 2, are their any specific posts we should be looking at?

    2. The interface of this blog has a lot of different stuff going on--lots of different panels, tabs, stories, and all sorts of buttons with different function, etc. What do all of these things tell you about how the creators of this blog want people to use it? (This question is basically a version of prompt 1 on the blog prompt sheet.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. This blog is awesome. Technology becomes an indispensable part of our lives. We can get latest news about technological firm, new product, and technology and economics. This is the reason why people interested in this blog.
    2. When I buy something, I seldom use the website like use. I may use the official website of the product I want to buy. For the reason that I think official website be more professional and authority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Compared with technical journal or other media, blogs about technology can spread information faster with more convenient search tool so that people can get latest news anytime anywhere; furthermore, these blogs could be an optimal platform for businessmen to identify commercial opportunities.

    This blog doesn’t classify all posts it has but have tags of hottest corporations; below that there is a window with scrolling picture and headlines. All posts are updated frequently and have popular social network websites’ button for subscribing or posting. I think creators want users to spread their information through social network so that more people can know about this blog and join in.

    There is intimate connection between social commentary and this kind of blog since Technology can generate or even change current social issue. For instance, some authors in TechCrunch concerned about severe hunger problem in Africa so they posted to advertise a twitter account which aimed for spreading message to alert people and establish a foundation for the African pour.

    I always looked for people’s reviews about what I planned to buy or book online, including electronics, flights, hotel, etc. I trusted these comments more than official description, especially negative ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at the latest post on the blog, @AmericanAir, You Suck, the author Erick Schonfeld retells a comedic series of events in response to an incident dealing with his flight home with his family. This post relates to our class theme, comedy as social commentary, because lately there have been many issues about air travel, specifically air traffic controllers falling asleep on the job. This story is along the same lines, that the industry has many problems, but shows it in another way. The story is able to use comedy to enhance the meaning by making it more interesting. If the author did not add comedy but instead retold the events using more bland vocabulary it would have just been another story of delayed flights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this blog pertains to half of our course them, social commentary. I feel that it shows how dependent society is becoming on technology and how we always have to have the newest gadget or the newest tv or phone. Although the blog is very informative, I don't really see anything that pertains to comedy, exlcuding the american airlines post. Most of it is about technology which isn't very funny. I basically never go to sites like this one. The creators of this blog have made several tabs that are easy to select so the user can find what they want quickly and easily. The tabs at the very top provide easy access to latest technologies and the what's hot tabs can be used to read articles on what is interesting to most people that would use this site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One place to find posts about social commentary is in the facebook category. There are a few posts about how this and other media outlets are involved in politics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel this blog is interesting and people share their commets and ideas about new thchnology and services.And other people will find some useful information on this blog about the new gadgets they use or try to use. Blogs about technology are helpful and popular.
    In recent times, people becomme more depend on technology and some social issues are appeared. So this blog connects to our course theme. It's good to have such a place that people can communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog seems to be set up for the exact type of people who would find it interesting. It has a lot of possibilities for the tech savvy person. It also has a wide variety of technology represented, not just Apple technology for instance. I also noticed how many of the articles tie technology into society. In modern society, technology is a huge part of living and advancement. It drives many social issues and may even help to solve them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found a post on the blog called "The Engrain Keyboard Is An Apple Keyboard Turned Art". I think it is pretty funny in that it makes fun of the obsession with advancement of technology. Basically, there is a computer keyboard cover made by Apple and is completely pointless and useless. The keyboard cover is made of wood that is sandblasted, cut, branded, and then finally glued to the Apple keyboard. I think this is just an example of how yes, we have created things that are pretty helpful to society, but that we also come up with some pretty ridiculous advancements to technology, like light bulbs for example. Who in the world would ever find the need to use or buy a sandblasted, branded keyboard for their already perfect Apple computer? In a way its almost annoying to think that people are wasting their time coming up with things like this keyboard. This blog doesn't make me angry or anything, but it definitely makes me laugh.
    -Ellen Haas

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use those websites like the one group 2 posted when I want to buy digital products, because I want to see feedbacks of people who really knows something about the product or has used it. Comments like that would always help me to make choices since it is more convincing to me. This website provides much information about technology which is interesting to me since it contains latest news about new technology. I cannot find outstanding examples for comedy as social commentary. The only feature that can reflect some social issues is the facebook part. Some hot news may contain some politic issues. I feel like the website aims at publishing and sharing information and news about technology, which also tells us how technology is developing and changing the world. Some reviews maybe very helpful for people who are interested in modern technology.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogs like this are successful because technology is something more and more people become dependent on as time goes on. I personally have never used a site like this because I feel like on a blog people will say good things about a product just to advertise, even if it isn't true. User reviews are the most helpful thing when purchasing anything, including technology. This blog has a comical spin on things, and even pokes fun at certain technologies including twitter and apple products. In this way the blog relates to our course theme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is the time that make this kind of website successful. People always say we live in an information explosion era with new things changing rapidly especially the techniques. This website meets the people’s requirement for the new techniques knowledge. I may consider use this website to search for some new high-tech stuff I am interested in. I think "@AmericanAir, You Suck" is one post related to our course theme. It states a common phenomenon about unsatisfactory service of the American airline in a relaxed tone, which is funny at the same time functioned as a social commentary. On the interface it provides the links about the general viewers’ most interested products or service, which shows a clues for others to follow the wave of new tech.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes technology blog is very helpful to us because we may gain some useful imformations that we wanted. It's just like we enjoy watching feedbacks from others when we are shopping online. We think those are more reliable than the advertisements. So the blog could give us some suggestions when we are choosing the products or services. And the information provided by the posts is around our lives---those application softwares and services mentioned by the author are all very common.
    And this blog is related to our course theme because technology has already been the essential social issue nowadays. In the post "Please God, All I Want Is A Phone. Any Phone", the author reveals the situations that internet takes up such a big part of our lives. He used some humorous words to talk about the problem that phone call is no longer important for some people because of the internet. This could reflect the social issues that internet plays a very important role now. So some posts could be connected to our course theme.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Technology is quickly becoming the new face of this world and unfortunately the masses are becoming all too dependent on the advancements. This addresses our course theme pertaining to social commentary but I feel like it is lacking the comical aspect of our theme since it was more informative about all of the technology and services. Although it is very helpful having the world at your fingertips, it can ultimately be too powerful.
    -kate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Answering the two questions posted by Group 2: I have never used a site such as this to enable my decision-making when it comes to a certain technology. As for the other question, I feel that blogs about technology have the potential to be successful, more so than blogs of a different topic, because the world is rapidly expanding and technology is the base of this expansion. Our generation is the most technology dependent out of any other thus far in history, which isn't a bad thing, but we are. So when it comes to new technology that no one has heard of, people become interested and want to see its application and want to be marveled by how far our society has come, in the form of a gizmo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. While this blog is about technology it is relevant to the course theme because there are quite a few posts that use comedy to get their point across. The post "Facebook calls user a spammer and gets sued for $1 in return" is a pretty good example. Basically a user was marked as a spammer and facebook threatened to delete his account and he was not able to ever be in contact with a person. And he argues that a company as large as facebook should have some kind of customer support. The author uses comedy by saying things like "And as everyone knows, suing companies for $1 is always a surefire way to get things ‘fixed’. Or was that $1 billion?" He is stating that a $1 lawsuit really is not going to do anything other than perhaps get the company to see the problem with their interface and fix it themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This blog is set up so that if you are looking for something particular, you can click on a tab or link that will take you to a general topic that your interest may fall under. This makes it easier to navigate sometimes. There are times when too many options can make it even more confusing. With the rapid growth of the use of many different types of technology, a site like this can be very helpful. I personally have never used such a site to help with any purchase. This site would be useful in finding how technology is effecting society. The Facebook section has a couple articles on how it and its creator have changed society. It has posts about security and economic issues.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This blog relates to the course theme in the sense of commentary but not as much the satire and comical part. This blog/site is a very useful tool for people who are trying to decide between pieces of technology to buy. I know when i am going to spend a chunk of change on a piece of technology i research and see what other people have reviewed and said about it. Blogs about technology are so successful because technology isn't going away any time soon, there is always new stuff coming out and always people who want to purchase this "stuff". Without sites/blogs like this one people wouldn't know what they were buying until they actually purchased it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think that people need blogs like these in order to be more aware of the technology that is being created around them. It helps people become more in touch with what is going on in the world today, and I feel that it is very important.
    As a social commentary however, this blog shows how obsessed we as a culture have become with technology. people who read this blog have to stay in tough with the latest and greatest that is happening right now or they might become detached from the "now."
    I have to admit that I myself have in fact used a site such as this in order to do research on a new computer, new mp3 player or ipod, a new gadget of some sort, new phone, new gps, new new new. It lets me realize now how much I too am obsessed with this sort of stuff, and am afraid to admit that I don't really care that this has become a part of our culture. I embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think the blogs about technology are so successful is because of the technology they are using in their blog.

    No i havent used a site to buy new technology products.

    ReplyDelete
  23. To add a little bit more technology is used in many different ways such as using your phone for social networking to get on facebook and also twitter. Technology is used all day everyday in the world today jus by using a TV and thats everyday.

    ReplyDelete