http://www.bleedingcool.com/ - Bleeding cool
This is a blog mainly about comics and films, created by Rich Johnson and his friends. “As well as news, rumors and gossip, there will be reviews, previews, features, interviews, videos, columns and a place for comic book readers to call their own.”
Here are some questions to keep in mind:
1. Compared to the two blogs we visited before, besides the subject is there any difference or any points that appeal to you? Or, does it seem to have any effect on people’s ideas, opinions, value, etc?
2. Do you find any feature that is related to our course theme" Comedy as Social Commentary"?
3. We could notice that most posts in the blog are contributed by the creator Rich Johnson, from London. Do you think cultural diversity or regional disparities are reflected in comics? If so, do you perceive the diversity or controversial sentences in this blog?
Thank you.
-Group 3
This blog doesn't really appeal to me. I'm not very interested in comics so I wouldn't visit this blog. I don't see many funny posts. I don't see too much cultural diversity because comics can really pertain to any culture, it doesn't really matter where a person is from.
ReplyDeleteThanks to group three for posting this blog, and thanks to Dan for getting the ball rolling. This blog seems fairly baffling since it's so deeply involved in geek culture--at least one of the posts I saw would require you to know that Superman recently renounced US citizenship, but the post doesn't even mention that fact, it just assumes you'd know. But in a way that makes figuring out the audience for this blog a little more interesting, since it's such a self-contained community. Any thoughts about that (beyond the obvious "They're all nerds!)? Also, while I think Dan may be right that there aren't many funny posts on this blog, I disagree with his observation about the absence of cultural diversity. There are traces of specific Englishness all over the posts. Can you find any? And yet most of the posts are about American comics and movies. How does that affect the way in which different people--say Brits and Americans--might read the blog?
ReplyDeleteThis blog is not very appealing to me. To me its largely centered around superheroes. Almost every post has to do with either a movie or comic centered around Superman, Spiderman, Batgirl, or the infamous Tony Stark from Ironman. These movies aren't solely from geek culture, but the way the posts talk about the subjects makes them more attributed to the typical "comic book geek." I love this movies but I could care less what country Superman is a citizen of. And I could care less about the details of Oscorp from Spiderman. These comics, and the posts about shows on BBC center it around not just American culture, but around any nerd from an English speaking culture. I do not find these posts humorous in anyway but maybe some detail oriented Superman fanatic would find these posts witty and humorous.
ReplyDeleteI think that this website follows along our class theme some because it has some comedy into it however I dont think that it is really on social commentary. The posts about superman's citizenship and free comic book day are not exactly social issues.
ReplyDeleteThis blog does not really interest me. They have many posts about comics and other things. I also do not like the layout of the website it has a lot of content being put in front of you at the same time. As far as the comedy goes as social commentary I have not really found too much of because it seems to be hard to find on the website. Some of the comic books are funny but I have not found any social commentary to this point.
ReplyDeleteI did not really find this blog interesting. The most interesting things were the pictures of different comic book covers. I did find one very recent, 2:30am this morning, post that related very well with our course theme. It has a comic book cover that depicts President Obama punching Osama. This cover resembles a previous Captain America cover. Other than that, I didn't find other posts that related well.
ReplyDeletealthough i would hate to bring this down, i do agree with dan and the rest of the class. this blog does not meet the course theme of comedy as a social commentary. As wikipedia puts it, social commentary is the "act of rebelling against an individual, or a group of people by rhetorical means." I do not see any social issues being addressed in this blog. the criticisms about the movies and comics aren't very humorous either, instead they are pretty straight forward and do not have any negative reviews. as for diversity, the author of this blog is british and one of the comics he addresses are british. other than that, this is not biased or culturally diverse. I feel like the audience are the american people.
ReplyDeleteIt is difficulit to find something very funny for me in this comic-centered blog.But it may be a good place for comic fans. Before the breaking news Osama is dead came out, I nearly can find nothing related to our course theme,fortunately this morning I found some comics may have a connection with this news which may can be taken as a social commentary.And about the cultural diversity, it is not obvious to find out.
ReplyDeleteAlthough this blog would only be seriously appealing to those who read comics vigorously, I think that it is a valid blog in that it is a social commentary. True it might not be as comedic to us because we don't really understand it, but I think that if we were up to date on all the comics that are on commented on this blog, it would be entertaining. Take a look at the article about superman no longer being an "American" superhero, I'm sure there is some irony in that. Its similar to the other blogs in that it has news stories (same as the previous week's blog) and there seems to be a singular writer (as also seen in "Stuff White/Black People Like"). This blog is probably as comedic as the Tech review blog, but we understand that more so we aren't as quick to judge those who read it because we all understand it at least a little. Just because the comic blog might not be as easily accessible to understand doesn't mean that it is any less applicable to society.
ReplyDeleteThis blog seems to be for the avid comic book reader, and this makes it hard to follow for someone who does not read comics. Even though there may be a few humorous quips here and there, I don't think anyone could say the blog uses comedy to address any social issues. I see a few British words sprinkled throughout some posts, but not much. I think Rich Johnston is appealing to an American audience.
ReplyDeleteSince I am not a fan of comics at all, this blog doesn't much appeal to me. As Max said, I don't think that there are many uses of comedy as social commentary. I do not see many instances of cultural diversity so I don't think that cultural diversity plays any real roll throughout the blog.
ReplyDeleteI am not interested in comic, but it is seems funny. However, I cann't find any comedy as socail commentary.
ReplyDelete