This blog is pictures that people submit of people shopping at Walmart.
Things to think about while commenting:
Does this pertain to our course theme? Why or why not?
What does the attire of some of the people say about the type of people that shop at Walmart?
Does this say anything about American society?
Do you find this blog humorous?
I think it a kind of pertain to our course theme. We can see social commentary from some funny pictures and videos, but not all of them are funny, and some stories just show their love or hate to Walmart directly. The blog shows us that some people are dressed like zombie and some mamma’s boys are dressed in utili-kilt. Maybe it reflects the phenomenon of cross-dresser. I did find this blog humorous.
ReplyDeleteI think this blog is very close to people’s life. It focuses on those who shopping in the Wal-Mart and things happen in or around Wal-Mart. In the videos, I saw some really funny customers and their cool dressings. Some of them also showed people’s attitudes towards Wal-Mart for shopping. This topic relates to our class’s theme because go shopping is an indispensable part of people’s life, and Wal-Mart is the social place that people get together and different things can happen. I think this blog is a little mean-spirited. It makes fun of people who look or dress different and weird. I don’t think those people deserve the meanness, and they just do what they like to make them look special and they feel happy.
ReplyDeleteThe blog is comical, but I do not think it says much to society as a whole. This blog does not really say anything about the type of people who shop at walmart either. There are going to be people dressed strangely everywhere it just so happens that a very large number of people go to walmart on a daily basis. Just by the sheer number of people there are going to be more oddly-dressed customers. The blog is kind of mean, especially the captions under the photos, but I think that helps make the blog more humorous.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis blog is close to our daily life so it pertains to our course theme. In the pictures and videoes, people dress in bizarre in the Walmart, which seems amuzing. But I don't think it's humorous because it is a kind of ridicule. Those people do not deserve the meanness because they are just doing what they like. So this blog is quite meanspirited.
ReplyDeleteI don’t think this blog has very close relationship to our course theme, however, in the video part of this blog, I do find some interesting clips which reflect people’s shopping style and some public phenomenon in the “wally world”. The attire of the people in the pictures is really wired. Those people may imply that Wal-Mart is the place attracts all kinds of people. Besides, I don’t think this blog is meanspirited, it is just for fun. After all I think this blog is quite humorous.
ReplyDeleteThis blog is extremely relevant to our course theme, comedy as a social commentary. The author uses hilarious stereotypes to hint that the customers that shop at Walmart are, "trashy" or "un-classy" specifically when there are pictures shown of people getting arrested in the parking lot and where the plump woman is shown with a crop top with her stomach just pouring out of the top... not attractive. but I guess the author thinks that Walmart only attracts these kind of customers. I find the commentary to be funny just because some of the stuff people go out in is a little ridiculous and embarrassing. although they may be really comfortable with their sexuality and appearance, some outfits are not excepted in our society. . especially if they are too revealing or non-fitting.
ReplyDeleteTo answer Ben's questions, I do not think these posts are MEANT to be offensive since the author most likely thought the people in those pictures would never see this blog, but it really is/can be offensive. . it seems to me that overweight people are targeted. . This is humorous because we witness this kind of dress, behavior all the time, but in no way is this a reason to target these shoppers. Also, the shoppers targeted may be the less fortunate... but at the same time Walmart is known for its cheap "roll back" pricing.. so they are created to draw in such a crowd.
This blog pertains to our course theme since it is kind of comic in many people's eyes and residents' somehow unusual clothings may reflect a regional culture or custom as well as arouse comments among netizen in my point of view. Many people like this kind of humor which is based on making fun of other people's dressings, but I don't enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteAnd, I don't think these photos uploaders are fans of Walmart. It seems that bloggers want to tease Walmart's customers' clothings which are sometimes unusual and weird in order to imply that Walmart is in bad taste and not elegant. I don't enjoy such blogs and this one is a little mean-spirited since sneak shots are very impolite and offensive in my opinion.
This blog does pertain to our course theme because the pictures are of people in our society and the authors of the blogs put them up there to show whats going on with fashion in the wal-mart stores. I think this blog is humerous because people enjoy watching other people look dumb or stupid a lot of the time. The attire that the people are wearing could be viewed as trashy sometimes. Im not sure if it shows any thing about our society as a whole though since it only pertains to one store.
ReplyDeleteThis blog contains some social commentary which is closely related to our course theme. The issues addressed in the blog are all in people's daily life around us. "People of Walmart" somehow represent a culture in supermarkets and what people are interested in. But one thing I do not like is that some parts of the blog seem like laughing at people, which is really funny but not respectful.
ReplyDeleteYes it does, it uses the humor of peoples outrageous looks to address the social issue of poor fashion and what not to wear. The attire of some people states that around certain areas, or certain times, some really crazy people with a lack of poor fashion sense arrive at walmart. This also shows that american society not only makes fun of poorly dressed people, but dress poorly themselves. I find some of these pictures humorous, i cant lie, but they also make me feel bad for those in the picture and make me wonder if theyve seen themselves and how bad they feel from seeing that their on this site.
ReplyDeleteThis blog does pertain to the course theme. It is very comical and pokes fun of a certain type of people: weirdos at Walmart. Walmart is place where almost every American has shopped at. That being said, not every person in the world dresses like we do. This blog simply points out those very eccentric and bizarre people in the world. In a way it is celebrating people who are brave enough to flaunt themselves like that. Often times people who dress strangely are asking for attention, so I do not believe it is mean spirited. Being different is the American way. We all want to have something we want to be known for. (example: Lady Gaga) Perhaps these people want to make total fools out of themselves at the largest grocery store chain in America. It is okay to laugh at things we fine humorous, even if it is a man dressing like a women.
ReplyDeleteI think this blog perfectly pertains to our course theme. It contains some humorous pictures taken in Wal-Mart and if you think about these pictures for a while, you may find something connects to social issues. The people shop in Wal-Mart wearing some weird attire says a lot. Wal-Mart is quite a popular place and probably every American has been to Wal-Mart. So it may be a perfect place to see the entire picture of the most common people in USA. The casual wearing style represents the typical free characters and life attitudes of Americans. Besides, I do not think this blog posts targets certain kind of people and take it personally so they are not meant to be offensive.
ReplyDelete